SSD Swap

No Comments October 19, 2016

My son recently expressed his desire to build his own desktop PC, so I've been putting together a selection of components to go along with a new motherboard, CPU, memory and PSU combination - you know the sort of thing, optical drives, case, keyboard, mouse and so on. One of the things he was obviously going to need was a mass storage device, so rather then lumber him with spinning rust I used this as an opportunity to replace my old 240Gb Crucial M.500 that's been doing sterling service for the past few years with a new 500Gb Samsung 750 Evo.

Replacing the drives in my desktop setup was easy, and the whole procedure was completed in under an hour without losing any data.

First step was to loosely mount the new drive in my case on a spare SATA port and boot the system, checking to make sure that Windows 10 could see the drive. I then downloaded tuxboot and used it to image clonezilla onto a sacrificial USB stick.

My system was then rebooted from the USB stick and following the prompts I performed a local device to local device copy - obviously making absolutley certain that I was copying from my old drive to my new one.

Once this process was completed (which didn't take long), I powered down the system, removed the old drive leaving the newer Samsung in place and turned things back on. Within seconds, I was back to my familiar Windows 10 desktop - but Disk Management was reporting that my new 500Gb drive was 240Gb, the size of my original Crucial unit.

I started tuxboot again, this time re-purposing the USB to run gparted. This is where the only sticky point of the operation happened; no matter what I tried, I couldn't seem to be able to coax the graphical environment to start. By mistake (and frustration) I ended up selecting the option to drop out to the shell, and tried issuing a manual 'startx' - at which point the everything sprang into life. I had to manually start GParted by right-clicking the desktop to bring up the application menu, but that was it.

When gparted started, it immediately prompted to fix the reported drive size; with this done, it took no time at all to move the Recovery partition to the end of the drive, leaving large gap at the following the partition representing my C: drive.

Once rebooted back into Windows 10, I started the Disk Management tool and simply expanded the partition for my main drive to fill all the available space.

The whole operation took less than an hour - in fact I spent longer trying to get GParted started than any other step in the process.

No Comments